DOG HILL SCOUT and COMMUNITY CAMPSITE
Annual Update 2020
Nestling in the foothills of the Lancashire Pennines, in Shaw, Dog Hill is a brilliant local asset situated on the edge of the moors, perfect for walking and other outdoor activities. Our Centre offers activities to young people from across North Manchester and beyond.
We are aiming to improve the infrastructure of the site (access / reclamation of footpaths / creating defined tent pitches) giving Oldham a fit-for purpose, accessible outdoor activity centre which delivers opportunities for young people to achieve a greater breadth and depth of learning and enjoyment than can be delivered from normal weekly scout group activities.
- Somewhere people can escape from their
urban surroundings and encounter a diversity
of wild plants and animals
- A destination for school groups to come and
explore nature and the diverse habitats that the
- Somewhere children are safe to have fun and
play with friends with no risk of harm –
providing the parents with peace of mind
Our vision is that Dog Hill activity centre and
campsite will be:
- A site where children can have fun and learn about
their heritage and gain skills
- A base to explore the surrounding countryside for
walks, canoeing and climbing.
- A site that can be camped on safely with all the
- A place to learn new skills in a safe environment
- Somewhere that offers peace and tranquillity, and meets local people’s recreational and educational
- Biodiverse where nature is allowed to thrive without the risk of development
Our future plans include:
- Keep the bunkhouse in regular use through the setting up of an explorers unit to be
based from this location on a permanent basis
- Develop several circular hiking routes from the bunkhouse and actively market the
offer to scouts and explorers, local DoE participating schools.
- Archery range / rifle range / 5 a side football field
- Bush craft training base
- Centre for district outdoor events, group camps, district events days, bonfire night,
bush craft, backwoods cooking, dark skies events etc.